Backsplash panels are great for a cafe or bar setting. They are easy to maintain, inexpensive, very durable, and best of all, they can be installed by just about anyone. If you have drywall lining the counters and sinks of your bar or cafe, you know how easily they can stain and how difficult they can be to clean. Luckily, installing backsplash over drywall is simple and doesn’t take much time at all.
Throughout this article, we are going to show you how to install backsplash panels yourself, as well as detail the many benefits that having them installed in a bar or cafe setting can have.
Installing Backsplash Rolls
This is a step by step guide to installing backsplash panels onto walls. The whole process shouldn’t take more than a few hours and will provide great benefits that we will touch on later.
Materials you will need:
- Solvent-based contact cement PL or any other construction adhesive
- Backsplash panels
- Small paintbrush or paint roller
- Matching J-trim (optional)
- First, make sure that the surface you are installing the backsplash on is clean of any debris
- Make sure the backsplash is oriented properly so the pattern continues on to the next piece of the backsplash that is installed so the pattern carries throughout the backsplash.
- Once you have oriented the backsplash piece properly, you will notice that some of the edges are longer than others. This is done so the pattern created by the backsplash can continue uninterrupted without any overlap.
- Remove and use any of the receptacle plates to cut out any holes where there are any outlets with an Exacto-knife. Most of the backsplashes have a protective film so you can draw on them with markers for measurements and remove the film after you are ready to install them.
- Now that you understand how and where exactly to place the backsplash, you can start to install the j-trim along the sides of where the backsplash will be as well as along the bottom of the counter to give a seamless feel to the backsplash.
- Measure out the j-trim to fit the sides and bottom of where the backsplash will be sitting. J-trim can easily be cut with typical scissors.
- Use construction adhesive on the j-trim and on the area where it will sit. Allow the construction adhesive to dry slightly and then add another layer on the j-trim before laying it down.
- Once the j-trim is installed, you can begin installing the backsplash panels. You could use a paintbrush but the most effective method is with a paint roller. Take your construction adhesive (solvent-based contact cement is the best option if you don’t want to damage the wall) and pour it into a paint roller tray. Apply the construction adhesive to both the wall and the back of the panel. After you allow the adhesive to dry a bit you can then place the panel on the wall, making sure you are conscious of the panel’s orientation.
- From here you can just repeat the process on the entire wall. For more information on the correct orientation of the panels, be sure to watch the video below.
The Benefits of Backsplash Panels in Cafes or Bars
Now we will go through some of the benefits that come with installing backsplash rolls in a cafe or bar.
Aesthetics – Backsplash panels come in a large selection of colours and patterns so regardless of how the rest of your bar or cafe setting looks you are sure to find something that matches and enhances its overall aesthetic.
Protects Walls – Having backsplash over your drywall can protect it from stains and eventual deterioration or mould.
Easy to Clean – The material used to create most backsplashes are incredibly easy to clean and is very difficult to stain. A damp cloth is all that is needed to keep backsplashes in peak shape for years.
Prevents Pest – Backsplashes seal walls entirely which helps keep away any unwanted friends. Pests tend to favour damp places, but the material used in backsplashes dries much quicker than drywall.
Cost-Effective – Backsplash panels are a very affordable option, especially when compared to other options. They are also easy to come by so if you need to update or repair a part you won’t have much trouble finding an identical replacement.
If you are thinking about using backsplash panels in your cafe or bar, they come with numerous benefits, are very inexpensive, and can improve the overall look of your space.